Friday, December 28, 2007

Why?

Yesterday on my way back home, at Andheri station, I saw a kid maybe 8-10 yrs crying in a corner and was surrounded by a policeman (who was chewing pan/gutka) and a man yelling at the kid! I don't know the reason but something compelled me to wait and watch. So I stopped where i was and heard the one way talk of the man to the kid. No one else was talking! I could hardly understand a thing, but I was feeling sad, very sad. What a kid of that age would have done wrong? Or why would he have done whatever he would have done wrong? I felt helpless, very helpless! Wish I could do something about it.
The place I work for targets entertaining kids, but aren’t there enough kids who need food more than entertainment? Aren’t there kids who don’t know what childhood is all about? Aren’t there kids who need love more than anything else? Why are we so insensitive to the issue, or why cant we stand up or rather to begin with me, why cant I stand up and do something constructive for the millions of kids who don’t have food, school, parents, Mickey mouse!
My daughter is so precious to me.I feel she is an answer to all my prayers and whenever I see these kids I see the same eyes...advika's eyes, hungry for love, wanting protection, wanting a pat, wanting a hug, wanting me! Why can't I do something. Am i afraid, afraid of what and why?Politics, Politicians, Goons, Prostitutes, Gangs,Police? Am I suppose to be scared of them?WHY? I am scared of sadness and gloom?But why? Why can't i stand up? Why? Ya it will not pay me money! So ! Is money all tht we ask for in life? Why do i kill my consicence? Why?

2 comments:

rayshma said...

no answers... just my thoughts.
i believe we, or rather I have become extremely self-centered over the years. if it doesn't in any way affect MY life, my world, i tend to ignore it. and yes, it's not right. fact is... i'm not willing to compromise my convenience *which i work hard for* for anything... or anyone. yeah, it's not something i feel good about. but then, i've strived quite a while to achieve this indifference... does it justify it? no. it doesn't. maybe that's why i genuinely admire people who can rise above themselves and think for and about others... very few... but worth it!

Suruchi said...

true babes! this indifference that we have built (ur not the only one) is not good at all! will break it...dnt know how and when will i draw courage enough for that! but will do!